Thursday, October 2, 2008

Getting Mail

I really dread going to the mailbox somedays. I just know there isn't anything good in there before I even get to the end of the driveway. When did I start feeling like that? I remember loving going to the mailbox and getting mail out, even though some of it was bills I still liked seeing what else was in there for me. Many years ago I started signing up for freebies just to see if they would come in the mail, now I don't bother with many of them (unless it is free diapers or something I really want to try). I don't even get excited when they come in.
I remember feeling the same way about email. I couldn't wait to log on knowing that someone was taking the time to write me or just checking up on me. Now there is so much spam to delete it seems like some days are a pain to bother checking it.
I know for a fact Kris doesn't like checking the mail because I can count on one hand the number of times he has bothered to check the mailbox in the past year. Unless he is expecting a package of parts he could care less about the mail.
Zack is always wanting to check the mail even though he still isn't tall enough to reach in and get it. Yesterday I gave him an envelope addressed to him, he looked at me and said "mail" in an excited little voice. I wonder how long it will be before he isn't excited to check the mail anymore.

Remember years ago people wrote letters to other people just to see how they were doing and fill them in on what was going on. Remember when email first became popular and people emailed letters to other people because it was cheaper than sending it through the mail. Now it just seems like people forward jokes and such but no one sends letters whether it is through the mail or email.

Well, I say get your pen and paper out people and send someone you love or haven't heard from in a while a letter or a card or a drawing that your child did. Make someone want to go to their mailbox!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I wish I had your address. I send out cute cards to my friends and family all the time. I still love getting mail. I do not however like to check my e mail. To many chain letters.