Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What a difference a year makes.

A year ago we started the whole process of having Zack evaluated because of his lack of speech. Well what a year we have had with him. From the time of the first evaluation in January 2008 to the second one in June 2008 he still hadn't had any improvements in his speech. Still the same 5 words he was saying for over a year. Finally in late July a therapist started coming to the house to work with him once a week. He took to her immediately which is why I believe he has done so well. By the end of August he had added 9 more words to his vocabulary. I was thrilled to say the least.
Now just 4 months later you can not keep this child quiet...at all. There isn't anything he won't at least try to say. Even if he doesn't say it right or perfectly he is still doing incredibly well. I would say he talks in sentences but that is a lie...it is more like paragraphs!
I look back and think wow I couldn't wait for him to talk so we could communicate more than just with some sign language signs that we used. Now there are days I wish he would just keep quiet for 2 minutes. (I feel like an awful mom for saying that)

Here is a conversation that happened today.
Zack ~ "Mommy, where Daddy"
Me ~ "He's working"
Zack ~ "Why?"
Me ~ "So he can make the pennies" (long standing phrase we have with Zack since he gets pennies for his piggy bank)
Zack ~ "Mommy...So Why?"
Me ~ "So we can live in the house we live in"
Zack ~ "Um So Why?"
It went on like this for 5 minutes before I finally just said "I don't know".

I can handle the "why" questions but the "So Why" is just flat out annoying the crud out of me.

I fear that when he starts school he is going to be one of those kids who is always getting in trouble because he can't be quiet when the teacher tells him to. Note to self: Give the teacher Kris' cell number let him get the your kid is in trouble again calls.

Next month he is going to be getting another evaluation done to see how far he has come and to see if he still needs the therapy. If he needs it at all it will be for articulation.

1 comment:

kirimarie said...

Yay--he's come a long way in a short time...isn't it amazing? And yet, even the most amazing things get a little old when they go on non-stop! If it's any consolation (and if he's anything like my teenagers) someday he'll be a teenager & won't talk to you at all other than the occasional grunt! So it will all even out in the end...