Friday, April 16, 2010

Dirty eyes

Please tell me how a child can get pieces of dirt in his eye and not have it bother him?

I took Zack outside tonight. We were chalking up the driveway when the neighbor boy came out to play. They drew for all of 30 seconds before the racing around the yard started. They were playing nicely so when they asked to go into the back yard, DH opened the gate and let them in.

The two of them kept running out and telling us the 'oh so funny' things they were doing and saying. Then it became a little too quiet for my liking. I walk to the gate which is still wide open and peeked in. The two of them are digging and tossing the dirt at each other. Now let me just say I use the term dirt very loosely here, we don't have dirt in my neck of the woods we have the infamous red clay that so many other southeastern residents have. Oh how I despise that red, can never be removed from clothing, clay!

A short while after the kids got a talking to about digging in the clay they are not supposed to be anywhere near, we went inside because it was getting a bit on the dark side. Wow that is when I saw how filthy my child had become! He received the warning, do not touch a thing, do not walk on the carpet with those nasty feet (yes he was outside barefoot). He marched straight to the bath. I am telling you it crossed my mind that he could have planted the entire summer garden in the dirt that just encased his neck! It was then that I saw the gunk in his eyes. Actual pieces of dirt and whatever else that black stuff could have been. I thought I had gotten it all out but I was mistaken. It took at least 20 minutes to get the rest of the gunk out of his eye. I do not know how it wasn't bothering him, I know if it were me, I would have been itching it and scratching it a lot.

I am happy to report we were able to gets the red rings off him and off the tub!

Lesson for today: if you don't want mom to have to get the dirt out of your eye, don't throw it!

No comments: