Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Oh no!

Tonight I planned on making Chicken fingers, potato wedges and some vegetables for dinner. Since I have to be gluten free now I decided to coat the chicken in gluten free Rice Krispies. I pounded them down some and added some spices. I got the chicken coated and on the baking pan. I turned on the oven then I cut up the potatoes for the wedges, threw them in a Zip lock bag with some olive oil and some spices. Then I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. Did I see smoke? No it could not be. Wait it looks like a little bit of smoke. Now I am smelling something, it smells electrical. I open the oven and I don't smell anything inside, I see a tad bit more smoke than before. I shut the oven off and pull it away from the wall. I see nothing behind there. I wait a little while then turn it on again and look behind it, at first I see nothing but I start smelling that faint smell again, then I see a spark behind the metal backing. The tiniest opening at the bottom is where I see the spark. I immediately shut the oven off and unplug it.

When Kris got home a few minutes later he took part of the back off and there was melted plastic. This plastic piece holds the wires inside so they are not touching each other. Of course the oven is not under warranty anymore so now we have to have someone come in a replace the part. I have no idea how much that will cost.

I knew I had to somehow get dinner cooked because I certainly did not want to waste the food so Zack and I took a very quick trip to the store and bought a toaster oven. Yup it is working right now cooking up meal that I would have loved to eat earlier. I guess I will cook everything up tonight and just reheat it tomorrow for dinner.

I had planned on doing some freezer cooking tomorrow but I guess that is out of the question now.

No comments: