Thursday, September 2, 2010

Separation anxiety.

Today was a pretty long day.
When I finally left to go pick up Zack from his first day of pre-k, I wanted so much to hear him tell me how much he loved it. Did I get that?

Yes
&
No.

Once he realized I walked into the room the words out of his mouth was "Hi Mom, lets go." I let him know he needed to get his lunch box and his back pack. Once he grabbed them from his cubbie, he let me know he wanted to go home.

He waved goodbye to the teachers and to the classmates that were still waiting on their parents. I told him to tell them he would see them tomorrow. He did, although somewhat reluctantly.

It was like pulling teeth trying to get him to tell me some of the things he did today.

Once we finally walked to the car and got buckled in he said in a loud clear voice "Mom I had a great day but I DON'T want to go back tomorrow."

Trying to explain to a reluctant 4 year old that he doesn't really have a choice in the matter is a very hard thing to do. I think it is even harder since I still felt so terribly awful about abandoning him while he was begging me so hard to not leave him.

Tomorrow Kris takes him since I have to leave before he goes to school. I can only hope and pray that he has a better time handling the whole thing of being left there.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Hang in there. It will get easier